Monthly Archives: January 2016
Your mouth is the gateway to your health!
Keys to a Healthy You
- Keep your healthy gums – get your teeth cleaned regularly, most adults need a cleaning every 3-4 months, ask your hygienist for your periodontal reading, you really do not want any numbers over 3. You may have inflammation in your gums known as gingivitis or periodontal disease without even knowing it. Get this inflammation and infection under control by whatever means possible.
- Sleep well – Try to get 7-8 hours of sleep a night. If you are a snorer get tested for sleep apnea, as using a c-pap machine will increase the quality of your sleep. Try to get up at the same time each day.
- Exercise Regularly – the current recommendations are 30 minutes of exercise per day, five days a week.
- Know your BMI – Your body mass index can help you figure out if you are overweight. If so this can increase your risk of heart disease, diabetes, and gum disease.
- Check your blood sugar – gum disease may be your first sign of diabetes. Early diagnose is better and lessens your risk of serious complications due to diabetes.
- Nutrition – eat clean foods and limit your sugar intake. Sugary drinks are the worse for your teeth and health, and often forgotten calories. Eat a balanced diet, high in fruit and vegetables, high in protein, and low in fat.